Saturday, January 29, 2011

Restoring a Tatted Treasure

A while back, when I was first getting into tatting, I would roam through thrift shops and antique stores looking for tatted pieces. In all of my expeditions, I found two. One was a handkerchief that has been on my wall since that day, the other a ratty doily that had been doomed to the same. Just recently, I've been running out of patterns! But I've always had the idea that maybe I'd try to recreate the doily, since it looks simple enough.

So I did that. And it turned out absolutely marvelous! While I was pinning out, starching, and pressing my new piece, the original doily was sitting in the corner. Very lonely-like. So after working on my own, I decided to take care of the older doily. I washed it gently, carefully pinned it out, and gave it a little starch, since it was very flimsy. While I was completing that process (about an hour and a half), I was thinking about the creator of the piece. I spent about 8 hours total doing everything, they must have spent a similar amount of time. Did their family not understand how lovely and time-consuming the piece was? Why did it end up in an antique store? Is the mystery tatter dead? Are they still alive? Maybe even, do they or did they live near me? Were they very proud when they completed it? Was it an original? Or did they find the pattern in a book? How old is it? Is it older than me? Relatively new? I cant ever know any of this, its not like it has a name pinned to it that I can google. All I know is that someone put a lot of effort into this piece, and I'm going to take care of it, and make sure it is never neglected again. And to the mystery tatter, thank you for creating a legacy.

The first picture is before I took care of it, the second is afterwords.


No comments:

Post a Comment