Friday, April 15, 2011

County Fair Drama

With all things, there is always a chance that SOMETHING will go wrong. This morning, my mom brought the entered pieces (all 12) up to the San Bernardino County Fairgrounds. When she asked a woman about my entrances, the woman claimed that I wasn't on her list (which I was, it turned out), and she asked my mom how old I am. My age was not on any documents, but when my mom told her, they said that I couldn't be in the same category as adults. But there is no tatting category for children. There is a lace category, but, as it turns out, I am indeed the only entrant. I didn't clearly understand what went on, but it seems as though they made a makeshift category for what I had been entered in as an adult. It's a huge mess, but all is well. There are no other tatters, lace-makers, or anything in that realm, so I guess I already won. Maybe I shouldn't be as upset as I am, but the reason for my entrance was to see some lacework from my area, and maybe have a little competition? Eh! That's how the cookie crumbles.

Now for some good stuff!

I started on some bookmarks for that bookmark exchange going on at the tatting forum, I believe it's called. It seems like a cool thing to do! These two (same pattern, different color) are actually from my own pattern, and I think they turned out pretty cool! The picots on one end are just super long and fringy. It's not as messy as one might think, because I starched them so that they pretty much stay in order.


My mom is obsessed with shabby chic, particularly aprons and the occasional handkerchief. She's had these in her dresser for ages and when I did that Japanese handkerchief, she gave me these to do the same with. They are reproductions of antiques, but are old themselves. There were coffee-ish stains on some of them from a while of neglect, so first order of business was to wash them and I found myself REALLY wanting a clothesline. When I was 12, we had a HUGE lavender bush outside our backdoor and when all the flowers were in bloom, I cut them all off into nice sprigs and hung them on a makeshift clothesline in my bathroom. My mom yelled at me for messing up the plant, but, you know, we still have all the sprigs, and they still smell amazing. Random story.

When they fully dried, I ironed them and, luckily, cotton holds it's shape MUCH better than that finicky silk. This will be a joy.




The blue is lighter than any I have, and the first, dark pink, needs a special pink. *sigh* so, only the purple one with get edging any time soon.


On a different note, does anyone have any tatting-on-eggs tips? I've been feeling the major urge to make some pretty Easter eggs, despite the fact that it's not really a celebrated thing in my house and the candy never fails to make me sick. Nonetheless, it tends to be so pretty! Feeling quite confident with myself, I took an expired carton of eggs from the fridge and spent about an hour trying to blow the middle part out. It was a traumatic experience, to say the least, and I kept getting egg in my mouth. About three were broken, and only one was blown, but very damaged. I watched some youtube videos, but it didn't happen. And it seems like nowhere sells nice matte, pastel eggs (fake of course). It WILL happen, and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

That's all for this post!
(:
<3

No comments:

Post a Comment