Monday, April 4, 2011

Sampler Book

For quite some time, I've had a burlap book ready to be filled with little tatted things, but I faced some challenges that made me wary. The first one being the cover. You want the cover of a book to be interesting and explanatory, yet not give the best away. I got a bit of inspiration from the little scrap flowers I made and decided to put them on the cover.

This gave way to the idea that the book will be whimsical. Colorful, interesting, and straight to the point. For the way of affixing the pieces, I used an industrial glue. Risky, I know, most prefer to sew or do even less permanent methods. This glue is very strong and has held out through some major wear and tear. Plus, it dries quickly, is flexible, doesn't sink in too much, and dries clearly.

The title would be my next challenge. I was thinking of writing in some fabric paint, but that seems too much of a risk. I might have messed up or it may have gone in. So the most appropriate choice would definitely be embroidering. I'm not very good at that, so the whimsical theme allowed for a little sloppiness. I cut out a piece of burlap a little bigger than I figured the title would be.

The picturea are pretty self-explanatory. Oh and I couldn't think of a better title! So that's a bit dorky, but I'm happy with it.






And that's how it turned out! I'm tatting a pink edging to go around the title now. I decided against labels in the book. Instead, I'm going to try to fill it up this year and maybe a label on the back that says "2011"

I've decided to make all the motifs in the tatting book I have (not all, some are kinda dumb)for the sampler book. Here's one that turned out reallyyyyy good.

On a different note, did you know that Walmart sells jewelry stuffs? Really cheap ones at that. I never really go there, so maybe it's been like that for a while, but I was impressed with some of it. They have these cheap little chains that can probably be made into really cool pieces. I made an over-the-head necklace thing. And some little earrings. Not very good, but someone who's really into making jewelry could definitely do something.


After tatting with size 20, it almost impossible to go back to 10. I tried. And honestly, I don't know how I ever could in the first place. So now, I'm going to try to learn how to crochet doilies (I can crochet in general, but not doilies for some reason) because I have over 20 balls of size 10 thread that I can no longer tat with. -_- *sigh*

Well, that's what I'll leave you with!
Thanks for reading ^_^
<3

No comments:

Post a Comment