Friday, May 27, 2011

Shuttle, Phase One

I did it! Something I've wanted to do for a long, long time. Certain things and ways of thought have prevented it before, but now, I've built a shuttle!

It's made out of a vinyl record and a clothes hanger. The process was quite torturous, but interesting nonetheless. I made a template for the sides and marked them with a white pencil on the record. Used an iron at a cotton setting to soften it and cut the shapes out. Put them all in the oven at 170 F for about 7 minutes and shaped them over a bottle, then fitted them with little segments of a plastic hanger. This was more of a trial run to see how the vinyl works, and I've learned quite a lot about how I can manipulate it in the future.

The hangers won't be used again as there isn't a hole to anchor the thread and the plastic does not mesh well the vinyl. I'm pretty proud of how these came out. In future phases, I'd like them to be more narrow and have a point. This will require a trip to the hardware store. Definitely not opposed to that! The next batch will come soon. This one is very tat-ible, but the size is a little clunky and the lack of point/hook is lame.

Tomorrow, as that is when the sun is out, I'll have more pictures. Not much tatting has been going on, but here's a sneak peak of what has been.

Now, it's 4:30 AM! So, good night (:

1 comment:

  1. so cool~ of course i'm old enough that i would HAVE to make mine out of Beatles records :)))

    ReplyDelete