Saturday, September 10, 2011

Yay for nothing!

 (Disclaimer: I (now) realize that I've been spelling dyeing wrong. You see, I originally thought it was "dyeing", but the red squiggle on one ignorant site told me it was wrong, so I foolishly believed it all this time. Turns out I've been spelling it incorrectly for quite some time. To those who have cringed as I do at spelling errors, I apologize. Ugh dumb mistakes.. haha)

For the past couple weeks I've been meaning to post. But there wasn't necessarily anything to post about. So, for the sake of this blog I'll be sharing my new and improved dyeing method in under 500 words (hopefully). I was informed that my last dying method explanation was extraordinarily boring, even compared to my usual nonsense-talk. This one will be fast!

1. Get thread! For the sake of convenience, Aunt Lydia's (usually at Joann or Walmart) is nice for size 10. Red Heart is absolutely lovely for 20 and 30. I use DMC Cordonnet, simply because it's very high quality, but that's pretty much only online, and the prices are lame to be fooling around with. It definitely hurts to mess up 400 yards (a size 80 ball has around 150 yards).

2. Wind it into skeins. My skeins measure approximately 55 yards, but I say they're 50 to make myself feel better about selling them (kind of a silent gesture?). Niddy noddies are typically used to wind up skeins. You can use the smooth legs of a chair or something. Make sure to measure one go-around before winding it up, so you know how much you're putting on. I talk about PVC pipe niddy noddies here. And I have a PVC pipe measuring thing installed on my wall that I'm sure you could conjure up if you really wanted to. You don't need to twist them up yet, I do just because it keeps them neat. I'm sure you won't be winding up 10,000 yards at a time though.


3. Dye. The dye isn't such a big deal. Anything for clothing will do fine. The Dyson dye from Joann works like a charm, they have nice colors, and they're inexpensive for dyeing your own thread, or thread to give away (who doesn't like thread?!). Make sure to read the directions and keep in mind that a little goes a long way.

4. Dying. I lay the thread out, evenly spaced. In order, from biggest to smallest. Remember that different sizes and brands dye VERY differently. DMC Cordonnet dyes very well, but runs easily, so I need to pat it dry after applying dye. Use a sponge brush to put the colors where you would like it. Make sure the color goes through. Try different techniques.


 I use a poster board covered by a trash bag. Fancy, I know! Easily replaced and wiped down.

5. Let dry. Let it sit over night, or until you're ready to wash it. The washing is my least favorite part because my hands have to be wet for a long time and I have an irrational fear of my skin falling off (I read about it in the Guinness Book of World Records when I was like 7). Have a big bowl or pan in the sink filled with hot water (not too hot). Rinse each skein until the water runs clear, carefully roll it into a ball, place in the bowl. Do more skeins until The bowl is full. Now, take each ball out, squeeze it, rinse VERY well (chances are, it won't be washed again for a very, very long time). Stretch it out, place it on a towel. Now finish the rest. When they are still damp, you can twist them into hanks. There are a lot of videos about this. I like to fold, and then hank them up. You could even fold two times. It's more compact and works up faster.

The end. Your own blend! That wasn't too bad, was it?

Just make sure that you don't constantly get confused by the multiple cups.


Hmmmm... One of these is my drink...

If you want to see my thread on Etsy, click here! I'm doing kind of like a sale thing.
The size 30 has been so neglected! It's my favorite, it's so ridiculously soft, I must admit. It's only a tiny bit finer than 20, not unmanageable, but nice for those who don't like to stray towards the very fine threads. So, that's going to be on sale on it's own. And then 30% extra off that or anything with the code "superawesome".

I haven't completely forgotten about tatting, I've been working on a completely fun, awesome, fantastic, stupendous project that will be unveiled in a month. Cruel, I know. It's a project too big for my closet workspace, that has officially, just become a closet for craft things. An office-type thing was required.

I don't know if I'll have anything to blog about until the revealing of the project. Maybe new thread. We'll see.

Thanks for getting through all that.

(:

4 comments:

  1. Thanks, Anika. It's interesting for me to know the different steps involved in dyeing thread. I look forward to the great reveal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, I'm dying (no pun) to hear the big project!

    Thanks for the directions on dyeing but at those prices, why would I? : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm finally going to have a little spare time for tatting and the first thread I'm planning to use is yours. I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was SO not boring... I enjoy reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete