Friday, May 25, 2012

More Polymer Clay, and some CROCHET!

First the polymer clay stuff. I've been trying to play with texture and pattern. So although some of this stuff isn't beautiful, it's an accomplishment in one way or another.




I really like the way the marbling came out.

Randomness.









 Some more sea life. I made a mold of the first clown fish I made, so now I have lots of clown fish for some reason.... The eggs are oldddd. I made them before Easter on real blown out chicken eggs. Little tiny donuts. And the last one is just a picture of a sheet of clay I did. I'm working on marbling techniques. It's getting better!

Now, I've been living here for a while, but I've never shown my craft area. Actually it isn't my craft "area". It's just where I store my stuff. The tubs are really nicely sized. I got them for a dollar each at Target. Also this is my tatting thread collection. It looks like hardly anything. That surprised me. I counted and there are 54 different threads in there. Not too too bad. How much thread do you have?



 A few days ago I got this book called Absolutely Gorgeous Doilies. There's no individual author, but it's by Leisure Arts. It has 18 crochet doilies. If you'll recall any of my last posts referring to crocheting, crochet and I have a love/hate relationship. None of my projects end up looking like the picture and I can't read a pattern for the life of me. BUT if you are familiar with the coupon policy at Joann, coupons apply to books (usually very expensive). I decided to go ahead and get a crochet book and wing it. I concentrated really really reaaaalllyyyy hard, and I did it! Success!




I didn't do the last row because I started it and it looked ugly. It looks a tad different, but, hey, not bad for my first doily.

So this is my challenge to myself. I'm going to crochet every doily in this book. The first one (called Park Avenue) only took me about 2 days, so my challenge seems plausible.

I've started on the second doily (called Pineapple Patch).

And, yay! This one is looking EXACTLY like the picture. And I'm halfway done, even though it doesn't look like it.

I have a little bit of a selfish reason behind wanting to do all these doilies. I'm going to put them away and not show anyone, and give them out as gifts for birthdays and Christmas and stuff. That way I've got something spectacular prepared without having to do a whole bunch of work right before whatever event it is.

Okay, okay, I'm done blabbing about nothing.

Do you have any advice regarding crocheting? Or any ways you see I could improve?

Thank you for reading! <3

3 comments:

  1. It looks like you've been having a lot of fun with that clay! I especially like the whale.

    I have that doily book, and I love each and every pattern. My advice... keep crocheting. The more you do it, the better it gets!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the doileys, pretty much like Diane said...just keep at it. Tension and keeping your stitches the same size matters just like in tatting, but crochet will also even out the stitches more when you wash and block it if some seem wonky. Lots of thread that doesn't tat well will work up nicely with crochet...so it's a great way to use up that thread.

    ReplyDelete