Saturday, June 2, 2012

Shiny...



You might be thinking "What is this madness, Anika?! You never do anything remotely challenging!!" Well, yes, concerned reader. I am indeed trying a new tatting technique. Also, that's not how you pronounce my name.... This is out of my comfort zone. Block tatting, that is. It's a snowflake from this book. Oh and that thread (Lizbeth #122) is SO smooth and shiny. It's weird how some of their threads are dull and some nice and smooth. If you really dig that, the color #142 (it's a dark blue/light blue variation) is ridiculously smooth. And (to talk some MORE. Sheesh.) I have to use a crochet hook with every single join. Wah. I feel fancy and sophisticated, but it's much more fun being lazy and using the point. 

24 snowflakes? I don't know what it's called. It has brilliant diagrams though. I'm doing a 6 pointed star. Does it look right? The block tatting, I mean. It looks all messy. But when I press it down (I do this after every few chains to reassure myself) it looks alright. So maybe when I iron it it'll look fine. Also, I did way too many stitches in the first ring. Which means all the rings will have extra stitches, and I pray that maybe, just maybe, it will look alright in the end. 

Polymer Clay Time: 

I added some gloss to the snake and the leaf. I knew it was missing something. Matte isn't my favorite thing. And on that note, matte nail polish is a crime! 


He looks much better shiny.

This is something I worked on all last night. It's a doughnut charm bracelet!

The picture isn't very good. But it's the only one I'll ever have. It is no longer in my possession. I really like how it came out. I just wish I did a little better texturing on the twisted donuts.

Fin! :)

7 comments:

  1. Your block tatting looks wonderful, and I would be using a crochet hook for every join as well. I have that snowflake book in both Danish and English... silly me, I thought I was ordering two different books!

    Your charm bracelet is adorable! Looking at that many doughnuts every day would surely make me gain weight... good thing you gave it away! ; )

    ReplyDelete
  2. The bracelet is really cute! Block tatting...hmmm, I need to try that technique I suppose...I like how yours looks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The bracelet is really cute! Block tatting...hmmm, I need to try that technique I suppose...I like how yours looks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The bracelet is really cute! Block tatting...hmmm, I need to try that technique I suppose...I like how yours looks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. your block tatting looks very good. congrats on trying a new technique. that thread is pretty, and you are right, some of the Lizbeth shines, and some does not. you have a knack for polymer clay. Hope you pursue it, you could do a lot with it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your doughnut bracelet, It's brilliant, Your block tatting looks really good,, and the thread looks lovely . Well done
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your block tatting looks great. Martha Ess' On the Block series of patterns are my favorite block tatting books. I think there are 3 or 4 of them, I have 3, Holiday, Critters and More Critters are the ones I have. Have you seen them?

    Although I don't like snakes I do appreciate the work that when into yours.:-) The donut charm bracelet is super cute!!

    ReplyDelete