Thursday, December 6, 2012

Books and Motif Pattern

I've been playing with designing a lot lately. I don't know, something just clicked. In my last post I talked about using jump rings instead of picots. It looks really cool and I wanted to design a pattern to showcase that. This is what I came up with.





I wish that I hadn't used jump rings on the outer row, but oh well. This pattern can, or course, be done with just picots. It tats up quickly and I think it looks really nice! If the middle, outside chains are extended to maybe 10 stitches, several could be put together and used as a mat.

Rarely do I buy books, but, back in the tatting mood, I thought it was appropriate. This is the first book I ever had. A teacher gave it to me as a gift (so kind!). It has great patterns and *gasp* crowns! Not to mention, a million motifs as well as beautiful, simple doilies. Last year, I gave it to someone who wanted to learn to tat. I don't think they ever did, but I certainly missed the book a great deal. Highly recommended if you don't have it already!


A couple days ago I posted, asking about any good books for little motifs and both Diane and Margaret recommended Tatting Collage. There truly are itty bitty motifs in here, as well as a lot of freehand stuff. I've never played around with that.


Finally, this isn't tatting, but it is about snowflakes. I keep seeing tons of snowflakes on blogger (appropriately), but I really don't think I have the patience for tatted snowflakes, so I decided crochet would be easier. Lazy me. I haven't opened this book, but once I get to crocheting, I'll tell you how it is! 


That's it for this post. This year, being a college student, I'm pretty darn broke, not like my bought gifts are a hit or anything. So I'll be making all of my gifts. Tatted for the women (Luckily there are mostly females in my family) and either baked or sculpted for the men. All of that will be posted soon!

I need some advice. My grandma (70) doesn't like THINGS. She also doesn't like people doing things for her. She really enjoys my tatting, but it just goes into a baggy in her dresser when I give lace to her. Any ideas?

Thank you!

4 comments:

  1. I love what you've done with the jump rings... another "why didn't I think of that" idea! Tatting Patterns and Designs was one of my first books... I think the price was $3.95! I hope you enjoy Tatting Collage. I think it has some great ideas, and it's been a great source of inspiration for me. I used to crochet tons of snowflakes, but since tatting took hold I don't seem to have any patience for crocheted flakes. Maybe I should give them another chance... or not. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a nice pattern, and I love the idea of jump rings! (course, if you don't like them in the outer row, you can always tat another row beyond the rings)
    I have the "Tatting Patterns and Designs" and find some of the patterns challenging, but fun.
    I think (speaking as a grandmother) a present your Grandmother would love a lot is a new framed picture of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks fun with the jump rings! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have both books and have tatted many items from both. They are great books to have for ideas leading to other designs. As for Grandma, how about tatting a floral design, a Christmas tree or your favorite snowflake and putting it in a picture frame. After she opens it you can suggest a place for her to hang it so she can enjoy all year long.

    ReplyDelete