Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Last Few Days of Being Free (Lots of tatting)

From school that is! I start class on Monday. It's going to be a difficult schedule, but I'm looking forward to it. It's the first time I've been able to get challenging classes. Last semester I got simple ones. Tennis. Ugh! Also, my first B in like 2 years. Yeahhh, not quite an athlete.

I won't be putting up much pleasure-tatting (motifs for no reason), but I will be doing other things. I've been working on some of my own patterns. So you'll definitely be seeing some of those!

For the first time, I tried needle tatting split rings. I'm not 100% sure how to do them and the tutorial I was reading only covered the first ring, a technique that DOES NOT work for the rest of the rings. So I made up my own method and made some rings. These are not starched at all, so excuse the messiness.

Side notes: I have rowdy cats with sharp nails.





Love how the pink/orange came out! These are all threads that I dyed.

This is the Celtic Flower from Celtic Tatting: Knots and Patterns. I used hunter green #830 from Majestic in size 80 and Lizbeth Blue River Glades size 80. The second picture is how it's supposed to look.



Mine turned out to look less Celtic. I just looks normally tatted. Like it's connected to something even though it's not.

I dyed some thread! All size 80. I only found a few colors, but that's good enough for me. Happy!


A snowflake (Book is in a different language, so I don't know what it's called) in one of the colorways. It's kind of like a sunset. I think I'll be avoiding white spaces from now on. I don't particularly like the look. It was absolutely horrible to block. I think I might try again so tame those stubborn chains and picots.


A tiny motif from Tatting Patterns by Lyn Morton. It calls for 5 repeats, but with 4, it's perfect. I didn't even need to block at all. I only starched it so that it would maintain it's integrity. I like this thread a lot more.


Here's a question: What do you do with all of your motifs? I'm thinking of getting a big foam board, covering it with a plain fabric and mounting it on the wall. Then I'll pin on all of my motifs with a tiny note that mentions the pattern/date/etc. It would be a way to showcase them and look sort of vintagey and cool as art.


4 comments:

  1. Good luck with your classes! Although I love teaching, I was never a very good student. I enjoyed learning, just not proving that I had learned something. ;-)

    I love all your experiments, and I think you're doing a fine job with your split rings... this from someone who trembles at the thought of making a split ring!

    Right now, I'm collecting my motifs in a Whitman's Sampler tin. I'm thinking of making a fabric scrapbook of my tatting. I just love looking through the pieces I've made!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a good idea for your mofits,
    Lovely motifs, your Celtic motifs look good, I think it's the colours that make it look less Celtic.
    Keep up the good work.
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the little ring, very delicate!

    The Celtic motif in green and brg is really wonderful, I don't know why I find it so appealing!

    Ate you still selling thread? It's quite pretty!

    Last motif very pretty, doesn't seem like it would work with one mor repeat.

    Love your idea for display, almost like a museum... I just put mine in a box, dull.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your idea for showcasing your motifs! Most of mine are given away, made into cards, or find a place on some crazy quilting.

    ReplyDelete