Monday, March 25, 2013

Awesome Walls, Messy Tatting, and Broken Heartstrings

WARNING: THIS POST CONTAINS UNBLOCKED TATTING.

I don't like posting unblocked tatting because it's just so messy, but sometimes it's a must.

Finally, I got out of my crocheting thing (for a little bit, I'm sure) and back into tatting, woohoo! Unfortunately for me, I have two projects in the works that need to be completed before I can move on. The first is this beautiful edging that I forgot about. It's really crumpled because I wrap it in the hanky and stuff it in the ball of thread for safekeeping. Not the best, but not terrible, right? This handkerchief was supposed to be a gift for my boyfriend last year. I'm sure he won't mind.

There's only one side completely done, but I'm making lots of progress since it's size 30.

Now, this is extremely disappointing. You know the Miracle Doily? Well, I'm doing it in size 80. Can you please please please tell me how to work with size 80 properly? It's so stressful. Always a struggle to close the rings, even if I let the shuttle dangle as long as it wants. I'm on the last (and very beautiful row) and THIS happened! GRRRR.


Tips would be SOOO appreciated. I have quite a few size 80 balls of thread and I'd like to actually enjoy working with it. I think the edging above is what upset me. The tatting is nice and smooth. No snags. Sticking to size 30, 40, and 50 after this.

Motifs are the definition of fun, especially square motifs! When I was dyeing thread, I had a lot of blank spots on my test skein, so I just threw some extra dye all over it, expecting something ugly. This was the product.

Pretty! It's strange, but nice. I think I misjudged my middle picots. Still getting back into the swing of it. I think it'd be interesting to someday do a mat made out of this patter, since the squares are so perfect.

Now, for non-tatting things.

I wrote my first crochet pattern. It's simple, but fun. I have it up for free on Ravelry, but I doubt that's of any interest in the tatting community.


My last, and most interesting, picture.

I'm working on jazzing up an old, messy house right now. It needs a lot of TLC, a little more than I feel up to every day. So for a little inspiration, I decided to create my special wall. It's an idea that I got from a picture a long time ago. It's always been in my head. I finally got to bring it to life.



I didn't zoom out more because the house is a wreck right now, but you get most of the wall in the top picture. It took a lot of tape, a little paint, and about 4 miserable hours. Before all the tape came off, I was almost crying because I saw it getting soggy and thought it would be ruined. But, voila! It surprised even me. The edges are jagged, but it adds to the effect so much, it's like I did it on purpose.

*sigh*

Midterm week and spring break are over. Didn't do too hot in history, it turns out. I expected that. I did, however, get an A on my Algebra midterm. My worst high school subject is now one of my best. Who'd've thunk?

Thanks for listening to my ranting and rambling!

9 comments:

  1. beautiful tatting, great colours (and yes, I know the problem with 80 thread...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you tried Thread Heaven for your size 80 thread? I've used it with metallic thread blends, and it did seem to help. I haven't noticed any discoloration in the threads I used.

    I do love square motifs. Some day I hope my tatting is even enough to actually look like a square! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never heard of Thread Heaven. Thanks for telling me about it! If it makes size 80 more workable, that just might change my life... Well, my tatting life. :)

      Anika

      Delete
  3. Great Wall! Gorgeous tatting, lve the square motif and the dye job.

    Size 80? Brest I can say is make sure hands and fingers are totally dry when closing. No surprise there I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :)

      I think that my hands were a little uncharacteristically clammy from the heat. Something in me knew it was asking for disaster, but I never learn. *sigh*

      Anika

      Delete
  4. beautiful works. The wall would drive me bonkers.
    as for the size 80. If the core stops sliding through the stitches, I pull back on the loop at the bottom of the thread, like I am going to re-open it. Not much, just a bit. you will find the twisted spot. Smooth it into the loop you pulled open, and let it relax a few seconds. Then try closing the ring again. This works pretty well, sometimes you have to do it more then once. But I have never snapped the thread doing this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tips! I've never tried that. Definitely will use that technique when I get back to this doily. I usually just hold the ring still and try to pull the thread carefully, which didn't work for me in the end. Haha.

      Delete
  5. OH, and be sure the let the shuttle untwist before you start the ring. which is likely what you are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really like the square motif and the colors in the thread are so lovely. Hope you're able to do it again and put it on Etsy.
    I also have trouble with the little kink that keeps the ring from closing, but I do what Ladytats does, and it usually works. If only I were better about remembering to let the shuttle untwist first.

    ReplyDelete